WHAT IS HAEMORRHOIDS/PILES ?
Haemorrhoids (also known as piles) are swollen and inflamed veins in the rectum or anus. Typical symptoms are pain, itching and bleeding around the anal area. Treatment and prevention will often involve non-prescription ointments, other home treatments and lifestyle changes. Haemorrhoids that don’t clear up may require a visit to your doctor and, in some cases, minor surgery.
- pain or discomfort, especially when sitting
- pain during bowel movements
- itching or irritation around the anal region
- bright red blood on your stools, toilet paper or in the toilet bowl
- swelling around the anus
- one or more lumps near the anus, which might be tender or painfu