WHAT IS COLITIS?
Colitis is inflammation of the inner lining of the colon and can be associated with diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating, and blood in the stool. This inflammation may be due to a variety of reasons, including the following:
- loss of blood supply to the colon,
- inflammatory bowel disease, and
- invasion of the colon wall with lymphocytic white blood cells or collagen.
Colitis facts :
- Colitis is inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. It may cause abdominal pain and diarrhea with or without blood. Fever may be present.
- There are numerous causes of colitis including infection, inflammatory bowel disease, ischemic, and microscopic colitis.
- Blood in the stool is never normal and should not be ignored.
- Depending upon the history and physical examination, further testing may be required to find the cause of colitis.
- Treatment of colitis often is supportive and is aimed at maintaining adequate hydration and pain control while a diagnosis is being pursued.